you will need
- one whole chicken with giblets
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- poultry seasoning
- brown sugar/honey/real maple syrup
- milk/half and half
directions for roast chicken
- cut up an onion, carrot, and celerly stalk and cook in butter or olive oil with giblets and neck. When giblets are browned cover with water and boil for an hour and strain everything. Cut up giblets and return to broth.
- remove giblets and neck from chicken. put chicken in roasting pan. slice lemon in half and stuff into cavity (you can also stuff fresh herbs inside and garlic if you want to). season chicken with salt, pepper, herbs or poultry seasoning, garlic powder or fresh garlic, and drizzle with olive oil. cook chicken on 400 for an hour or so breast side up.
- cut carrots up into 2-3” pieces and cook on medium with butter until almost soft, then add brown sugar and maple syrup or honey
- cut potatoes into 1” pieces and boil until soft. Mash with masher and stir in butter, salt, pepper, milk and half and half if you have it.
- Mix roasted chicken drippings in with broth and giblets. Add 1 tablespoon corn starch in some cold water and whisk. Mix corn starch mixture in with giblet broth and drippings. Whisk in pan - this is your gravy
serve breast meat with carrots and mashed potatoes and gravy
after you eat and chicken is cooled you can make soup
- remove all meat from bones of chicken. Separate meat from skin and bones.
- boil skin and bones with a chopped carrot, onion, and celery for an hour and a half to 2 hours. Add more water to keep everything covered.
- dice an onion and cook until translucent in olive oil with poultry seasoning. add diced celery and carrot to mixture and cook
- strain bones, skin, and vegetables from broth, add cooked vegetables to strained broth and boil for 20 minutes
- add chicken to soup and strain fat off top of soup with a spoon
- add salt, pepper, garlic to season